Friday, September 08, 2006

Lyre Restoration

As you can see, these pictures show some stages of the restoration of the Lyre. Some interesting points: in the first picture, note the 3 brass bars. The one one the left I polished as a test. The two brass bars on the right were painted with a very poor brass paint. Why someone would paint brass with a poor imitation brass paint is lost on me. Perhaps they were so blackened with tarnish that they looked like steel--as I thought they were at first. In the 2nd and 3rd photos, you can see that I had to replace some decorative wood pieces that were lost to time. I did these with hand tools--a miter box, jigsaw, and hand drill. Man, do I need some better shop tools. Anyway, I am pleased with the results, all the brass is completely restored and polished, and lacquered, so it will not tarnish. Look at that brass shine, baby!

No comments: